Sunday, 13 December 2009

Britney Spears-Everytime - Research

We have researched into different genres of music and the different music videos. Within this we looked at how they can influence the viewers and got more controversial for example the Britney Spears- Every time music video directed by David LaChapelle and produced by Guy Sigsworth, Which is about a girl who wants it all to work out, she wants everyone to like her, but realizes the world isn't fair. Not everyone is going to like you, and even though someone might make you mad, he could be the true one to you. It's more then she can handle, she is so sorry for everything she might put the guy through and she is "sorry if her weakness caused pain."

The clips of her in the bath tub drowning cut to her being in the hospital, where doctors and nurses are attempting to save lives whilst she it trying to end hers. We both believe this is an extremely controversial music video, the lyrics are mirroring the story of the video, this can be showing the extreme lengths of vanity and how selfish and self obsessed people can be in today’s society, how much appearance and image can change peoples opinions.



The Lyrics to Everytime...
Notice me
Take my hand
Why are we
Strangers when
Our love is strong
Why carry on without me?

Everytime I try to fly
I fall without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you baby
And everytime I see you in my dreams
I see your face, it's haunting me
I guess I need you baby

I make believe
That you are here
It's the only way
I see clear
What have I done
You seem to move on easy

And everytime I try to fly
I fall without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you baby
And everytime I see you in my dreams
I see your face, you're haunting me
I guess I need you baby

I may have made it rain
Please forgive me
My weakness caused you pain
And this song is my sorry

Ohhhh

At night I pray
That soon your face
Will fade away

And everytime I try to fly
I fall without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you baby
And everytime I see you in my dreams
I see your face, you're haunting me
I guess I need you baby




The story behind this music video is the image of a girl who, in effect wants it all, wants everybody to like her, but comes to realise that that this isn’t possible in reality at the world is not fair. You can’t have everyone like you and you can’t always control everything. Brit wrote this song when she was going through a hard time in her life as the song itself is about her ex-boyfriend Justin Timberlake, the lyrics in the song are in a reply to his hit single ‘Cry Me a River’ as he wrote that about her after the pair broke up.
The lyrics "I may have made it rain, Please forgive me, my weakness caused you pain, and this song is my sorry" are Britney’s’ apology to Justin.

The video opens with clips of the skyline in Las Vegas, cutting to a shot of Brit on a huge billboard showing her huge stardom and success. It then pans down to a shot of a limousine pulling up outside the theatre, obviously with Britney inside and being swarmed by the paparazzi. Then we see Brit sat inside the limousine with a man who looks to be her boyfriend. He looks downcast and fed up, and is not looking at her, as she is trying to get his attention and he seems to be rejecting her. Then we see a close up shot of Britney, she appears saddened by his reaction. Then we see a shot of the car pulling up and photographers surrounding them, and banging on the windows – another clue as to how famous and sought after the character Britney is in this video.

In the next shot Britney is getting ready to get out of the car she puts on some sunglasses and a cap, obviously in an attempt to try and shield her identity from the paparazzi, she gets out of the car and is immediately crowded by a huge flock of people waiting for her. We see lots of quick cutting clips of her being surrounded by her bodyguards protecting her and taking her to a building away from the rabble, in the end she is forcefully shielded from people trying to grab her and get closer.
Then a continuous reverse tracking shot is used as we see Brit walking down a long walk white corridor with her boyfriend and bodyguards. The man who appears to be her boyfriend is acting angrily and seems frustrated as he kicks a pile of boxes that fly and almost hit a nearby female nurse. The video then cuts to the scene of inside an apartment, supposedly Britney’s’ or her boyfriends. The couple are having a row and then he tries to hug Britney, but she rejects this and shoves him away. He then picks up a nearby vase of flowers and hurls them at the wall and the glass shatters everywhere. Brit then storms off into a different room and gets undressed and gets into a large bath. Contrasting with this delicate scene that shows the vulnerability of Brit’s character, are shots of her boyfriend in the lounge showing his anger and kicking over a coffee table. Both of them take off their shirt at the same time, although in different rooms, almost symbolising them both showing their weakness and vulnerability in unison. Then we see Britney emerge herself in the bath and then its cuts to the boyfriend sat on the sofa looking tired and miserable.

We see Brit in the bathtub, lots of close up shots of her face show her emotional pain, then she brings her hand down from behind her head you can see blood filling the palm of her hand, representing that she has self-harmed, to escape the pain.
The video then cuts to show Britney against a clean white background, wearing a white shirt, with damp-looking hair as if she has just had bath, I think this symbolises her on the verge of suicide whilst in the bath. The sterile, white looking background surrounding her seems to signify the idea of dying and stepping into a ‘white light’. She then begins to walk forwards as the camera does a reverse tracking shot and seems oblivious to the doctors, nurses, policemen and surgeons surrounding her, that appear to be frantically dashing around.
Then we see a close up shot of Brit completely submerging herself in the water, which then fades out to another tracking shot of Britney running down a brightly lit corridor and then appearing in a hospital ward where an about-to-be mother is having complications giving birth to her baby as doctors and nursing are anxiously rushing around her. Again we see the shot of Brit running down the corridor.
Then a mid shot of her boyfriend is shown in their bedroom, going into the bathroom and in seeing what Britney has done, leaps into the bath and picks her up.
Then it cuts back to Brit in the hospital ward again where we see a nurse hand a mother hew newborn baby. This shot in contrast with suicidal Britney in the bathtub is suggesting the idea of reincarnation i.e. as one life ends another begins.
After this, a panning shot across a street shows the scene crowded with police cars flashing, people panicking and photographers all trying to look at the stretcher being wheeled out to an ambulance – presumably with Britney on it.
Then the camera does a tracking shot, showing Britney running, this time away (as opposed to towards) us, symbolising her subconscious decision that, perhaps she does not want to lose her life, thus runs away from the ‘white light’.
Then an above shot shows the mother in the hospital holding her new born baby in her arms. The video then fades out and to end with a close up shot of Brit emerging from the water, as she takes a deep breath, as if a sigh of relief, lays back and smiles.

We think that this music video was aimed at older viewers, possibly for the larger audience that watch the music channel and also the growing audience of the YouTube population. We do not think that it was made for younger people to watch in particular as it could perhaps be seen as sending out a negative message of self harm, and although this is featured in the video, that is not the entirety of what it is based around and certainly does not promote it. We found this quite a controversial video to most others that we watched as a lot of others are usually quite upbeat and of optimistic content, whereas as this video portrays death with reincarnation and pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment